Bonneville Salt Flats in utah
When is the best time to take photos as the salt flats in utah?
The magical thing about the Bonneville Salt Flats is that they are gorgeous year round. Sometimes they have a layer of water, but the water makes it even more magical, with gorgeous mountain reflections and reflections of our clients. I love when the sky turns pink right after sunset, so I usually recommend starting every session at the Salt flats, 20 minutes before sunset, so we get some gorgeous light and sun flares, but also get some very beautiful skies during blue hour. The salt flats will be beautiful, and the sky adds so much magic!
How to prepare for your photoshoot at the bonneville salt flats in Utah?
- Water, pack lots of water. Drink lots of water before arriving. Drink lots of water after you leave. The salt leaches water from everything!
- Fill up your tank before you leave. There is a gas station about 10 minutes past the rest area, but getting towed off the flats is expensive and takes hours.
- Pack wipes and towels for the ride home, and plan to take a shower when you get home, because the salt tends to linger and starts to burn.
- Wear shoes that you do not mind ruining, since the salt is impossible to fully remove, and will slowly eat at your rubber soles.
- Prepare for the wind with a hair style that will stay in place, because the wind can be unpredictable.
What should you wear to the salt flats?
- Shoes that can be ruined by the salt!
- If you are doing engagement photos, or family photos, I recommend wearing a mix of neutrals and one or two accent colors. Like blue, or pink. Sometimes mustard yellow, or sage green. I also recommend 1 casual outfit, and one more dressy outfit!
- View my free "what to wear guide" here!
Enter a Heading
This is a paragraph. Click edit and enter your own text. You can make changes like making the text bold, underline or italic. This is a great place for you to tell your clients more about your story and to describe the type of photographer you are. You can come back at any time to make more changes.